Monday, February 1, 2010

Style Icons: Serge and Jane

One of the benefits of being an American in Paris is the access to French cultural media (another benefit is that when you speak to skeezy French men in English they are 100% more likely to get frustrated and give up trying to pick you up after a few tedious, broken sentences, but that's another story entirely). About a week ago, some of my classmates and I went to see the film Gainsbourg: Vie Héroïque for our theatre class and it was pretty awesome. The film was kind of a biopic of famed 70s Jewish-French singer Serge Gainsbourg, who happened to be married to the infamous Jane Birkin (yes, as in the Hermès Birkin bag-- THAT Birkin) for about 12 years before he went kind of nutso and she left him. But wait! While they were together, I have to say that they were a pretty nice-looking, if not slightly mismatched couple:


I'm loving how much leg she always shows. I'll have to try to pull this off when the weather gets warmer.

RIP Lucy Gordon, who played a stunning Jane.
French actor Eric Elmosino, who is extremely appealing in an unorthodox way, played Serge.

I'm not sure if they make it with English subtitles or dubbed into English yet, but if you can get your hands on this film somehow I would highly recommend it. I must warn you, though, it is a typical French film: dark, creepy, mysterious, a little disturbing, and very poignant.


In other, totally completely unrelated news, can I just say how much I love the Blog Awards system? Seriously, it just makes everyone feel so good.

Recently I got an award from Adeline of My Vintage Image and I wanted to share it with some special people whose blogs I genuinely enjoy:


Girls, who do you think deserves an award?

5 comments:

LyddieGal said...

I agree they do seem a bit mismatched! And a quick search on Netflix shows the movie with a save button and no scheduled release date. Someday, perhaps.

And thank you so much for the award - they do make the day brighter!

Kellie said...

Aw, they were a cute couple. I love mismatched pairs! :D

http://playingdressupwithkellie.blogspot.com/

S and O said...

Oo thank you for the blog award it's so shiny!

Onika said...

Holy Crap! I didn't even know that you gave me this award. I'm clueless! Thanks soo much :)

Erin Cathleen said...

Jane Birkin is my style icon! And I have a not-so-secret obsession with sixties French pop music. *_*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...